It occurred to me that posting the actual recipe for this dessert might be just a little bit helpful! So, here it is.
Syrup: 2 c. sugar
3 c. water
Cake: 6 egg whites
3/4 c. farina
1/2 c. breadcrumbs
2 oz. (or 1/2 c.) almond meal
6 egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
2 oz. (or 1/4 c.) fresh orange juice
Grated rind of 1/2 orange
- Make syrup: heat sugar and water on stovetop until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens (about 15 mins.). Cool syrup slightly and refrigerate.
- Grease a 12”x7” pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Make cake: beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry; set aside. Mix farina, breadcrumbs, and almond meal together and set aside. Beat egg yolks, gradually adding sugar, until light and creamy; add orange juice and rind, then mix. Gently, alternate stirring egg whites and dry ingredients into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 30 mins. (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean).
- While it is still hot, prick the top of the cake all over, and pour the cold syrup onto the hot cake. Let cool, then cut; diamond-shapes are traditional.
You must log in to post a comment.