blog post intro here
My Yiayia’s Savaren
Light, unleavened almond-orange syrup-infused cake
- 1 12"x7" pan
- 2 c. sugar
- 3 c. water
- 6 egg whites
- ¾ c. farina
- ½ c. breadcrumbs
- 2 oz. almond meal or ½ c.
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ c. sugar
- 2 oz. fresh orange juice or ¼ c.
- ½ orange, grated rind only
- Heat sugar and water on stovetop until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens (about 15 mins). Cool syrup slightly and refrigerate.
- Grease a 12”x7” pan and set aside
- Preheat oven to 325˚F
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry; set aside.
- Mix farina, breadcrumbs, and almond meal together and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, gradually adding sugar, until light and creamy; add orange juice and rind, then mix. Gently, alternate stirring egg whites and dry ingredients into egg yolk mixture.
- Pour mixture into greased pan and bake for 30 mins. (or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)
- While it is still hot, prick the top of the cake all over, and pour the cold syrup onto the hot cake.
- Let cool, then cut; diamond shapes are traditional.
recipe notes here