– Tried and true inspiration from family and friends
Fruit- (and jello-) sweetened cranberry salad mold
- 1 food processor
- 1 lb. fresh cranberries, picked over
- 1 orange, washed and dried
- 1½ c. sugar
- 1 3 oz lemon gelatin
- 1 3 oz. raspberry gelatin
- 1 t. grated fresh ginger
- 2 c. boiling water
- 1 20 oz. crushed pineapple
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
- 1 c. chopped celery
- In a food processor, grind cranberries and orange (including peel) until fine.
- Add sugar to fruit and allow to stand overnight in refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, combine both gelatins with boiling water.
- Chill gelatin mixture in freezer to consistency of egg whites (40 mins. or less).
- Add pineapple, nuts, celery, and ginger to gelatin mixture and stir gently.
- Pour into a 13" x 9" pan or 3-qt. mold.
- Chill thoroughly in refrigerator.
Many years ago, at one of my earliest Christmas parties, a friend brought this dish. She also gave me the undated (but obviously old) clipping with the recipe from the Long Beach Press-Telegram, so to be accurate I need to give credit where credit is due: Thank you, Colleen, for bringing this salad, and thank you, Evelyn Tietsort of Long Beach, who originally submitted the recipe. It’s refreshing, has an unusual combination of common ingrdients, and is a snap to make if you can use a food processor. Jello molds are ubiquitous with Southern meals, so of course, I included this is my Southern-Thanksgiving-do.